There is nothing cooler than having a huge barn door in your home! Get all the details on how to make it from Kirby below.
What You Will Need-
(Measurements may vary based on your space. Ours- 92" tall x 44" wide)
1) 6- 1x8 Number 2 Pine Boards (Actual Measurement .75" thick x 7.25" wide x 8 ft long)
2) 4- 1x4 Number 2 Pine Boards (Actual Measurement .75" thick x 3.5" wide x 8 ft long)
3) Stanley-National Hardware 8-ft L x 2.4-in W x 1.88-in H Plated Steel Plain Square Tube (Lowes)
4) Stanley-National Hardware 2.01-in Steel Sliding Patio Door Roller or Pulley Roller (Lowes)
5) 1" Nails
6) A finish of your choice
1) Hang Rail in desired location (ours is bolted to our ceiling)
2) Measure area for desired door size. (Make sure to allow 2" from the bottom of hung rail in the height of your door size. This will allow clearance from the floor & allow it to slide freely.)
3) Take the 1x4 Number 2 Pine Boards and lay out your frame for your width and height. (Using your desired measurements.)
4) Using a Miter Saw cut 45 degree angles on your frame work to fit your door size.
5) Now Cut your 1x8 Number 2 Pine Boards to the desired length.
6) Lay Cut 1x8 boards together.
7) Place your Cut Frame on the 1x8 boards.
8) Begin nailing the frame to the vertical boards. (Use at least 2 nails per vertical board.)
9) Lay the 1x4, for the cross brace from corner to corner on the door that has been nailed.
10) Unless you are a geometry wizard, mark your angle on the inside of your top left and bottom right corners for your cuts.
11) Place cut diagonal cross brace in place and nail this to the vertical boards. (Make sure to use 2 nails here as well.)
12) Paint or Stain door to your desired finish
13) Drill holes for bolts in the corners of door for your Rollers.
14) Attach the Rollers
15) Lift door in place (sliding rollers into your track.)
16) You will need to decide on a stop system. (We placed bolts on the outside edges to stop the door from sliding out.)
We hope you love your barn door just as much as we do! If you have any questions leave them in the comments below. Stay Sweet, Amanda & Kirby!
Meet the Blogger
Blogger. DIY Enthusiast. Wife. Future Boy Mom & All About Keeping Life Real
Want to Learn More
I save 5% every time I shop! Do you?
Amanda's Favorite Website For Clothes